EJ’s Notepad: 1/25/21
1. In terms of all time annoying sports narratives, if the #1 most annoying argument is Michael Jordan vs. LeBron James, then easily the #2 most annoying sports argument is the “Is Tom Brady the GOAT” argument. Realistically this one is silly to me considering that I believe this debate was put to bed at least 5 years ago. Now can have a separate argument over who’s the most talented in the history of the game and I’d always give the nod to Aaron Rodgers (although Patrick Mahomes is on the verge of changing that conversation) but when you run down a tale of the tape and consider leadership, drive, talent, longest of and accomplishments, nobody and I mean nobody touches Thomas Edward Brady.
2. Speaking of Aaron Rodgers, he should get little to no blame for the Packers loss in the NFC Title game to Tampa Bay. This one rests at the feet of head coach Matt Fleur and the Green Bay coaching staff. Terrible coaching job.
3. I think the future of the Buffalo Bills is bright. Barring any seismic moves this offseason from any other teams in the AFC, I really do expect the Bills to be back in this same spot next season.
4. Patrick Mahomes. Wow. That’s all I can say. Wow.
5. This year was easily my worst year of sports betting and NFL picks. Had the Packers (-3) and the OVER on Chiefs/Bills Maybe Covid is to blame?
6. Speaking of Covid, it’s great to be back to work and some sort of normalcy after being away for two weeks. It was tough enough for the wife and I attempting to get back to health. But dealing with our two young kids who while had the virus, showed little to no symptoms. I’m glad they were ok but man it was tough matching their energy. Especially my 3 year old.
7. The WWE announced this morning that they will be moving their Network to the Peacock platform sometime in March. While I welcome the move, I really hope the WWE has their own hub to navigate through. Don’t need anymore confusion searching for material on the NBC platform mixed with the WWE related material. I’m crossing my fingers on this one. All we know is one Vincent Kennedy McMahon is a billion dollars richer and I’m not.
8. Rest In Power to baseball icon Hank Aaron who passed away at age 86 last Friday. I’ve long been fascinated reading about Hammerin’ Hank growing up and how he dealt with playing Major League Baseball with the backdrop of the Civil Rights movement. Honestly as we become more remove from that era I really believe Hank Aaron, who at one point held the all time home run record has become more underrated. Truly an all time great that deserves all the praise given. Rest peacefully Hank.
9. A media giant left us this weekend who happened to be an all time favorite of mine. Larry King, 87 passed away on Saturday. King in my opinion might’ve been the greatest interviewer I have ever had the pleasure of watching and listening to. He was engaging, smart yet never made any conversation he had with his guest about him. Always left enough room for a classic back and forth discussion. There is an art to that. Larry King mastered that. As someone who does a podcast and constantly looks for outside inspiration he was definitely an influence on me. A second Rest In Power to a legend.
10. Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill? Sign me up. It’s either her or racist asshole Andrew Jackson. Doesn’t seem like much of a decision to me.
11. The Hurt Business’ faction has been a godsend for Bobby Lashley. I honestly expect him to win either the WWE or Universal title within the next year.
I think that’s enough randomness for the day. Love dropping these random takes without necessary attaching the minutia. I save those for the long form pieces.