So initially 42 reasons was intended to be an annual piece that was birthed in 2012. I put it together for two reasons.
First -- the obvious. The NBA Playoffs have arrived. Or what I call my "most wonderful time of the year". (cue Christmas song.
But secondly -- the 42 represents my personal tribute to the legendary Jackie Robinson which the baseball world always acknowledges this time of year.
It's a beautiful mix 'n' match of two of my favorite past times -- basketball and baseball. Yet this will be the first "42 reasons" piece I have written on this blog in a few years. Time to dust it off, get enthralled in my excitement and see why I am thrilled for this edition of the race to the Larry O'Brien trophy.
1. Can the Cavaliers repeat?
2. Was Cleveland's second half meltdown a case of disinterest or a larger problem
3. LeBron vs. PG13
4. Will the Celtics get any respect even though they are the #1 seed in the East?
5. Will this be the last time we see Paul George in a Pacers uniform?
6. What kind of playoff splash can Giannis Antetokounmpo make.
7. A possible all in postseason for the Raptors with their current core.
8. Hearing more New York Knicks drama being spewed out even though they aren't a playoff team.
9. The Chicago Bulls are a wasted space of dysfunction and should be bounced sooner rather than later.
10. Golden State Warriors bouncing back from last year's Finals disaster.
11. Kevin Durant possible first title.
12. Possible first round upsets. (I'm looking at you Milwaukee Bucks)
13. Who’s truly more valuable to their team when it matters: Harden or Westbrook?
14. Kawhi doing Kawhi things.
15. Late night playoff basketball on the East Coast.
16. #15 is important because my schedule actually is conducive to taking in late night soiree’s
17. Everyone sorta forgot about the Spurs again.
18. The Spurs won 61 games.
19. Maybe it is Kawhi Leonard who should be our MVP.
20. It is more than past due but could the Memphis Grizzlies finally breakthrough?
21. Referring to #20 -- probably not.
22. Grizz defensive stopper Tony Allen most likely out for the series as well.
23. Will the Clippers at LEAST crack a spot into the West Finals.
24. Fat chance since the Warriors are in their bracket come next round.
25. The national audience finally gets to see the hype about the Utah Jazz.
26. Speaking of the Utah Jazz, is Gordon Hayward really a player ready for primetime as he prepares to get paid bigly this upcoming free agency period.
27. Hey Draymond Green -- please keep your legs and feet to yourself and not cost your team an NBA title.
28. I think the Toronto Raptors stand the best chance to dethrone the Cleveland Cavaliers in the East.
29. Oh boy -- only 13 more to go.......
30. Is it possible the Wizards/Hawks series might be the saddest and yet most unpredictable of all the first round soiree's?
31. I love using the word soiree'.
32. An underrated storyline -- Russell Westbrook vs. Patrick Beverly.
33. If #32 confuses you check out Thunder-Rockets first round series from 2013.
34. Could Portland steal ONE game?
35. Ok -- 8 more to go.
36. Atlanta Hawks might be the weirdest team in the entire playoff tournament.
37. Can Dwight Howard pull a throwback this postseason.
38. The Miami Heat should be in this postseason. (save your smart-ass comments)
39. The Brooklyn Nets are cowards.
40. The NBA Awards become public knowledge.
41. Playoff discussions on the podcast for the next two and a half months.
42. Yes. Made it to 42.